MANAGING ATTORNEY (MA)/LEGAL DIRECTOR
MANAGING ATTORNEY (downtown / civic / van ness) Compensation: $69,000 to $105,000 (35 hours) for full-time; salary for part-time will be pro-rated. PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES FOUNDATION (PWDF) is a small nonprofit located in San Francisco which focuses on psychiatric and/or developmental disabilities. See www.pwdf.org
(2) Oversee Social Security and other laws including representation at all levels through the U.S. Supreme Court; Education; Health Care; Employment; Housing; and related subjects such as multi-culturalism, disability abuse and service animals, media including seminars, e newsletter, training videos, and guest speaking.
(3) Overseeing legal articles, legal aspects of seminars, trainings and guest speaking.
(4) Participation in preparing reports for the meeting of the Board of Directors of PWDF as needed.
(5) HR for staff jobs.
(6) Administration of contracts relating to all vendors,
(7) Communications, coordination and cooperation with private, public and other non-profit agencies and organizations serving our target population.
(8) Must be able to attend and fulfill duties for occasional liaison meetings, which may be called without due notice.
(9) Monitor income and expenses; prepare reports relating to advocacy side of Agency.Qualifications: The ideal candidate will be results-oriented, highly organized, and will possess the ability to work and communicate in diverse communities. Must be reliable, flexible and able to work within administrative deadlines e.g., work with bookkeeper, program managers attorneys and paralegals (legal assistants), financial spreadsheets for year-end audits. Proficient computer skills required, including , Word, Excel, PowerPoint, MyCase and other internet skills required; Most importantly, candidates must be committed to providing excellent education and advocacy for people with mental and/or developmental disabilities (DD) and must be willing to work enthusiastically toward achieving PWDF’s Mission.
1. Licensed California attorney, MINIMUM of 10 YEARS relevant; e.g., civil rights nonprofit experience.
2. Exceptional communication skills, ability to write clearly including accuracy for detail with statistics in spread-sheets and other formats.
3. Management experience and a record of achievement in leading teams of people.
4. Strong entrepreneurial skills and the ability to establish and build a wide range of key relationships.
1. Experience in Social Security/SSI disability, employment, health care, housing, Medicare, Medi-Cal, post-secondary education and other disability rights.
PROGRAM MANAGERS OR PROGRAM DIRECTOR
PWDF seeks Program Managers for its Advocacy Program and its Public Awareness and Education Program, or in the alternative, a Director of Programs to manage both programs. Descriptions for each are provided below.
EDUCATION PROGRAM MANAGER
POSITION DESCRIPTION: Program Manager for Education/Public Awareness – Write for and manage publication of E-newsletters; arrange and promote seminars, workshops, and guest speaking; manage the expansion of agency communications across all multi-media, including website, live stream, traditional media, social media, and others; manage staff and vendors.
Permanent Full Time – 35 hours a week.
Benefits include medical, vacation, and Commuter Checks after 90 days, and holidays.
The Program Manager for the Public Awareness and Education program is responsible for managing operations relating to public awareness seminars, workshops and trainings, including production of training materials and promotion of events; writing, editing, and publishing electronic newsletters; arranging guest speaking; promotion of organization across different media, including website, live stream, traditional media, social media, and others; networking; outreach; updating website and related administration; organization and maintenance of databases; hiring and supervising program staff and vendors; ensuring staff has the tools and equipment needed for operations; oversight of costs and related budget development; and program compliance to internal standards, including filing and other organizational tasks. Advanced computer skills required. The Program Manager works collaboratively with the Advocacy Program Manager/Legal Director to meet and report on current status of all projects. Other duties as assigned.
The environment is flexible, team-oriented, with fixed and evolving procedures due to agency growth. PWDF is a small expanding agency headquartered in San Francisco.
For agency information see www.pwdf.org
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in a related field, such as education, communication, marketing, mental health, program development, nonprofit management, and/or social services. Minimum 5 years’ experience related to nonprofit civil rights, preferably disability (mental health helpful), and program management experience, or equivalent.
- Superior organizational, written and oral communication skills. Ability to work under deadline pressure. Ability to manage competing priorities. Ability to work independently and to exercise appropriate level of discretion and judgment. Experience and skill collaborating in a team setting with staff at all levels.
- Microsoft Word; Excel, WordPress, Constant Contact & FileMaker Pro (or comparable database) required. Dreamweaver, data collection and management, and video editing helpful but not required.
$45,000 – $55,000 annual base range plus benefits, including medical, Commuter Checks, vacation, and holidays.
Email resume, writing sample not edited by another, and cover letter to: April Banerjee, Executive Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org. NO CALLS PLEASE.
Application Deadline: Position open until filled.
Proposed Start Date: To be arranged
ADVOCACY PROGRAM MANAGER
People With Disabilities Foundation is seeking a qualified individual for the position of Advocacy Program Manager. Prior administrative, legal and/or paralegal experience in nonprofit, social services agency or law firm preferred. The mission of People With Disabilities Foundation is to provide education and advocacy for people with psychiatric and/or developmental disabilities, with or without physical disabilities, so that they can achieve equal opportunities in all aspects of life. See www.pwdf.org
Advocacy Program Manager Description Summary: Advocacy Program Manager supports the work of the Foundation’s staff attorneys; develops and maintains relationships with referring organizations; educates organizations and individuals concerning our advocacy services; and monitors and evaluates the effectiveness of PWDF’s advocacy services. All other duties are as assigned.
Specific Job Duties:
1) Provides administrative and paralegal support for the advocacy program
2) Manages screening of all incoming requests for representation
3) Oversees development of cases from intake through closure, including contacting all medical providers at all levels of representation including appeals or litigation in court.
4) Coordinates all correspondence with the Social Security Administration or any other entity or person in order to assist attorneys.
5) Oversees any and all administrative work relating to the above, including supervision of the Advocacy Administrative Assistant(s), who is responsible for filing, typing, and ensuring all office supplies are available as needed.
6) Assists in case management; responsible for reporting.
7) Other duties as assigned.
1) Bachelors degree or equivalent in a related field
2) At least 3 years administrative, legal and/or paralegal experience in nonprofit management, social services or law firm.
3) Social Security advocacy, disability advocacy especially helpful
4) Superior organizational, written and oral communication skills.
5) Ability to work under deadline pressure
6) Ability to manage competing priorities
7) Ability to work independently and to exercise appropriate level of discretion and judgment
8) Experience and skill collaborating in a team setting with staff at all levels
9) At this time experience in formatting for federal district court litigation IS A PLUS
Agency full time is 35 hours per week; this position is part-time, with mutually agreed upon schedule. Salary for part-time will be pro-rated based on schedule, e.g., if 4 days/week, then salary will be prorated to 80%
Application Process: Please email resume, writing sample, cover letter to Timothy Roscoe Carter at email@example.com.
Job Type: Part-time
Salary: Salary will be pro-rated according to the agreed upon part time schedule based on a full time salary range of $42,000.00 to $52,000.00 /year
As an alternative to the two Program Manager positions, PWDF will consider candidates for a Program Director to manage both programs. Successful candidate must have demonstrated experience in the two Program Manager positions combined under this new job posting.
COMPENSATION: $70,000 – $80,000 annual base range plus benefits, including medical, dental, Commuter Checks, vacation, and holidays.
APPLICATION PROCESS: Email resume, writing sample not edited by another, and cover letter to: April Banerjee, Executive Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org. NO CALLS PLEASE.